Getting feedback from real people in order to inform the decisions we make when designing and building a digital product
- Get feedback quickly
- See how someone unfamiliar with the idea interacts with a app
- Understand which features to prioritise
- Adapt the content and copy
How to test?
- Go to your users & put your app in their hands
- Encourage honesty & thinking out loud
- Focus on journeys or tasks
- Record the findings
- Over explaining the idea
- Showing them the journey rather than letting them explore
- Filling the silence
- Share the link to your prototype
- Ask your user to share their screen
- Observe and listen
Start with an introduction
Thanks for helping us today. My name is Belinda, I’m a developer. The app we’re working on is…
We’re testing the app, not you, you don’t need to worry about making mistakes
Be honest, you’re not going to hurt our feelings and any negative feedback helps us improve the idea
Ask any questions you have throughout but I might not answer them until the end
We’ll be recording the screen/taking notes…
Start with general questions:
- How do you feel about shopping online? Do you do it often?
- How much do you use your phone vs a laptop when on the internet?
Giving your user some tasks to complete can help you to see how they use your app
- Could you create a profile?
- Where might you look for help?
- How would you book an appointment?
Ask a few questions to wrap up the session:
- How was your overall experience moving around the app?
- What else would you like it to do?
- Anything else you feel we should know?